Once you have spent the time and money to install luxury vinyl tiles into your property you will want to keep them in great condition to ensure you get real value for money. These tiles are low maintenance flooring solutions that require a small amount of aftercare but we’ve put together a guide to help you clean and maintain your luxury vinyl tiles so they look stunning for years to come.
Routine luxury vinyl tile cleaning
Depending on how much the floor space is in use and the amount of dirt generated, you will need to have a regular cleaning routine for your luxury vinyl tiles. This will include:
- Sweeping the floor at least once a week to remove any build-up of loose dirt. Alternatively, you can use a vacuum to hoover up the surface dirt if preferred.
- Ensure all spillages are wiped away quickly to avoid any stains engraining into the surface.
- Mop the floor once a week, or more if required, to wipe away any light stains and to remove any germs and bacteria that will start to form during the course of day-to-day activity.
- Always use a mild detergent as not all chemicals are suitable for use on vinyl flooring. Always check the label before buying and using on your floors to avoid any issues.
Luxury vinyl tile stain removal
It’s unavoidable that stains on your luxury vinyl tiles will appear over time, whether they are in the kitchen, hallway, bathroom or anywhere else in the home. They can’t all be cleaned away quickly and here are some suggestions to help remove them:
- Using a simple combination of hot water and a mild detergent will usually be enough to wipe away any stains from the material.
- If the stain is quite stubborn you can use a soft brush to wipe away or loosen the stain from the surface of the floor. Avoid brushing too vigorously as you may scratch or damage the vinyl tiles.
- Once the stain has been removed use a rinsed out mop or a damp cloth/sponge to wipe over the area where the stain used to be.
- Avoid using steam cleaners as these could badly damage vinyl floor tiling and be sure to remove as much water from the surface as possible before leaving it to dry.
Maintaining your luxury vinyl tiles
Cleaning plays an important role in ensuring your luxury vinyl tiles are kept in fantastic condition but here are some other tips that can also help to make them last even longer.
- If you have luxury vinyl tiles in the hallway entrance, or in the kitchen with a back door, using a doormat will keep dirt trails to a minimum. They will help to trap most of the dirt and moisture into the material, rather than on the tiles. Remember to clean the doormats on a regular basis to stop the spread of germs and bacteria.
- UV fading affects most homes and closing curtains and blinds will block sunrays and prevent your luxury vinyl tiles from discolouring or fading. This will keep them looking as good as new for a very long time.
- Avoid applying wax to the surface of the floor as this will not only reduce the vibrancy of the material but also make it very slippery underfoot. However, an acrylic finish can be applied by using a mop and bucket and this will help areas of the floor more prone to scratching or scuffing.
- Spot repair kits can help with blemishes and marks on the floor. For heavier scratches it is best to remove the tile and replace with a new one, which is a very straight forward process.